Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Basic Vanilla Cookie?

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay of a new post. I just got back from Washington D.C. where I brought my newest baked goods for the blog to be tested out. Before I go into this week's baked deliciousness, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Holiday and New Year! This is one my favorite time of year, with everyone in good spirits and so much promise of the future. Unfortunately, there probably won't be another blog update until after the New Year, because I am going to be spending my New Year on an incredible trip to Israel! Well enough about me, because as we all know by now, this blog is dedicated to Buddy and his recipes.

So the recipe that I made this week was originally planned to be my first recipe for the blog. The reason that I scratched it in the first place was that it called for pastry flour, which I didn't have. Buddy says in the recipe that all-purpose flour can be substituted, but I was being stubborn. After I realized how difficult it is to find pastry flour, and how expensive things would get by ordering it, I gave in and decided to go with the all-purpose flour. The recipe was for Taralles, which is a vanilla cookie. Overall I thought the result was good. The dough was simple, and it yielded a good amount in the end.

My biggest problem was the presentation of these cookies. They are supposed to be circles that look like rope. I could not make them look like rope, no matter how hard I tried. So they basically were just circles. They took a little bit longer to bake than the recipe said, but that also might be the oven that I used. This was the first recipe that I didn't make in my apartment, but rather at my mother's house where the appliances are different. Overall the cookies were well received. The average grade was about a B/B+. They were a very simple cookie and comments I got reflected that:

"Needs to be slightly softer, but perfect level of sweetness."
"Tastes like a hamantaschen, without the filling."
"Delicious!"
"Amazing!"

I definitely agreed with the hamantaschen comment. If you've never had a hamantaschen make sure you try one as soon as you finish reading this entry. I personally enjoyed the flavor and texture of the cookie, and it's a possibility that I would make them again. I think they are a good holiday cookie, and maybe with some cinnamon sugar on top could be excellent. Overall Buddy hit the mark with this recipe, now if only I can figure out how to make it look the way it should...

My poor attempt...


So I'm not sure what will be next. I think I'm gonna try to master the Italian Custard cream over the few days that I am home over break. Happy New Years everyone!

Comment, subscribe, send to friends, etc. You all know the deal by now! :)

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. can you post the recipe? they sound good. please. thank you

    ReplyDelete