Sunday, December 12, 2010

What is a CakeBall?

So I only updated yesterday, but I couldn't wait to make and write a blog entry about my own recipe. I LOVE baking all of Buddy's recipes, but what I made yesterday/today is a Catherine specialty. I think since I did this so early this week, I will try to do another recipe from Buddy's book for later on this week. So if you couldn't guess by the title of this entry, I made cakeballs. Let me explain what a cakeball is before I tell the history of my relationship with the cakeball and why I made it now.

As many of friends would say a cakeball is "a taste of heaven in your mouth." You know that thin layer of cake of where the cake and the icing meet and slightly mix? You know it, it's the best part of the cake! Well a cakeball is that in larger quantity rolled into a ball, dipped in chocolate, covered in sprinkles and then frozen. It's actually really easy to make, and it gives you a chance to be creative with different combinations. I cheat with this recipe and use a cake mix and icing that's already been made, but since my new-found baking skills (thanks to Buddy) I might start to try to make these with homemade cake and icing. Basically all that you do is bake a cake and let it cool. Once it's cooled you crush it up into crumbs and then mix in a container of frosting. Once it's well blended, set it in the fridge to cool for a few hours. After it's hardened a bit, put a piece of wax paper on a baking sheet and roll the cake/icing mixture into balls. Melt chocolate and dip the balls in the chocolate. Cover the balls in sprinkles. Return to fridge until the shell hardens, then move to freezer and voila- you have cakeballs!

This week's batch of cakeballs is yellow cake/vanilla icing mixture covered with milk chocolate! It's probably my personal favorite combination. I want to try a red velvet/cream cheese cake ball soon with the recipes that Buddy has.





I'm not having people review this recipe as I have made it SO many times before, and have gotten all of the feedback I need at this point. :)

My history of the cakeball begins last spring when Stacie made a batch and brought one to me to try. I immediately fell in love, and of course always looking to expand my baking repertoire asked Stacie how to make them. Well that began a summer filled with making cakeballs. Over the course of this past summer I probably made a batch of cakeballs almost every week, sometimes even two. I have tried so many different combinations of cake mix, icing and chocolate that I can't even begin to recall all of the different kinds that were made. My three biggest supporters over the summer were my friends Eliana, Jason and Dan (I know you were all waiting for a shout-out.) Summer at school is pretty quiet and since they are amazing friends I thought what a better way to show my thanks to them, but to bake whatever they like. There has developed a ritual process to eating a cakeball, you have to close your eyes to maximize your smell and taste experience while enjoying.

Of course other friends were visiting over the summer, whether for dinners, birthday parties, or just to hang out, and there always seemed to be at least a bag or two of cakeballs in my freezer at any given point in time. Over the course of my cakeball frenzy, quite a number of people got to experience this creation. Since the fall semester started, I have not had the chance to make them (they are pretty time consuming.) I have been getting a couple of requests, and I finally decided to give in and make a batch for finals week. Depending on how these go, maybe I'll make a second one this week...

There have been constant jokes about me opening a cakeball bakery, but no one can come up with a REALLY good name, so think of one and leave it in the comments sections!

I hope that no one minded my deviation from Buddy's recipes for this entry, but I felt the need to share something that is just totally Catherine. If you'd like a cakeball, or have a suggestion for a combination- LET ME KNOW!!

Also please send this blog on to anyone you know who might be interested. You are all the best! :D

xoxo

1 comment: