Monday, February 7, 2011

Who doesn't love cupcakes?

Surprise! I decided to do another recipe (actually 2) this week. To get the full story I have to back up to last Thursday. I was going down to D.C. this past weekend to celebrate my birthday (which was yesterday). Two of the most amazing friends in the world were taking care of all the plans and I kept feeling badly that they weren't letting me help, so they finally conceded to let me bake cupcakes for the weekend just to get me off their backs. Wow- was it worth making these two recipes!

I want to take a second to thank everyone who helped me celebrate my birthday this year. It was easily one of my favorite birthdays in history. You are all amazing and so special to me!

So once I was granted permission to bake, I chose to do simple vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting. I was also taught the difference this past week between icing and frosting, and for my birthday I wanted frosting. Frosting is creamier and softer than icing. Both were recipes from Buddy's book, and if you have been keeping up with this blog then you know that I haven't made either of these before. For all I knew, they could have stunk, but it was something new, fun, and who doesn't love a vanilla cupcake?

After a last second run to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients I had run out of, I began what was to be my favorite recipe so far of this blog. Both the cake and the frosting were pretty easy to make. I don't know if I could have done it as well without my KitchenAid, but luckily I didn't have to worry about that this time. The frosting was rich and creamy, and the cake was like something you would find in a professional bakery. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but they were AWESOME! I've been told so much in the past how hard it is to make a good cake from scratch, but this recipe was pretty easy to follow, and turned out way better than anything you could ever get from a box.

I don't always try things from the blog, but I finally gave in after everyone starting raving about the cupcakes and tried one Saturday night. I was shocked about how amazing they tasted. I didn't have grading sheets with me for the weekend, but whenever I asked someone who tried them the only answer I heard was an A! Some of the comments were:

"They are like a religious experience!"
"Wow!!!"- Henry
"This is better than something I could get at a bakery."
"Can I have another?!?!"


I plan on making these cupcakes many more times in the future, beginning next week with my nephew's 1st birthday party. I'd be happy to make these for anyone else who wants them too!

Thanks to everyone for making 21 a great year for me, hopefully 22 will be even better!!!

Keep reading, commenting, sending to friends, etc. I love you all :)

-Catherine

2 comments:

  1. Catherine, The vanilla cake recipe sounds like EVERYTHING I have been looking for! PLEASE, please share the recipe as I do not have the book yet and would LOVE to bake one up for the christmas holiday for my family <3 Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I had forgotten to ask, if it is like the recipe that I had found online (through EXTREME searching), which includes an ingredient called Italian Custard Cream...what is this, how can I make it, or where can I get it? lol Please help your fellow baking blogger :o)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete