Monday, February 14, 2011

I finally made it!!

This update is not about a new recipe. This entry is much more exciting in my opinion. After a couple of failed attempts, I finally made the trip to Hoboken and to Carlo's Bakery!!! To say I was excited about this trip would be an understatement. I guess you could say I made it to the "Motherland" of this blog. Being there firsthand was an amazing experience that I won't forget.

A friend told me a couple of months ago that if you order a cake ahead of time you can cut the line and go right into the bakery. Since it was my nephew's 1st birthday party this past weekend, and my Dad's birthday today, I figured it would be the perfect opportunity for this trip. I ordered 2 cakes of Devil's Food with fudge filling and buttercream frosting a few weeks ago and prepared for the "journey." To be honest, it wasn't much of a "journey" to get there... it only took me an 75 minutes from school and only about an hour to get back home.

The line was starting to go around the block when I got there, but as promised I cut the line and went right in to the store. IT WAS PACKED! There was barely room to move in there, but it was worth every second. I gave them my name, and the found the cakes. Once I was in there it was fairly easy to order other things as well. I got some cannolis, lobster tails, eclairs, crumb cake and chocolate covered strawberries for my family to try. I would say that everything was reasonably priced and everyone working there was extremely friendly!

Sightings: Danny, Mauro, Little Buddy, and Madeline. Madeline actually checked me out, and I got the chance to tell her about this little blog and thank her and her family. Everyone was so nice and it was great to see them still functioning the same way as before, despite the fame.

Review of the food: AMAZING!!! There is nothing else to say. The cake was to die for, as were the other desserts. I would happily make the trip again for any of their cakes. They really deserve all the success they've gotten.




Such a great time. I think that this trip was a step in the whole journey of this blog. I'm really starting to get into the tougher recipes soon, so hopefully I can use Buddy's model as inspiration!

Also Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope everyone gets the love that they deserve :)

xoxo
Catherine

1 comment:

  1. yay!!!!! a dream come true.
    im surprised they didn't seem more enthused when you told them you were baking your way through Buddy. maybe once you've made a bigger dent you can go hype it up.
    and next time (bc im sure there will be a next time) i wanna go!!!!

    ReplyDelete